The Department of Malayalam was started in 1925- the golden jubilee year of Maharaja’s college then affiliated to Madras University. Classes were offered under Part II Second Language for the three year BA/BSc. degree courses. Malayalam had been taught by famous Sanskrit teachers like Dr. Karunakara Pisharady, Rama Pisharady & Anantha Narayana Shastri. Oriental Language Department was headed by a superintendent of languages. Pandit Karuppan was perhaps the first teacher in Malayalam.
It was in 1936 that Mahakavi G. Sankara Kurup joined in the department and his poem ‘Nale’ invited the attention of the whole of India at large. His presence in the college really enriched the student community. B.A. Malayalam was started in 1941 when Sri. P. M. Sankaran Nambiar was the HoD. The only one student in the B.A. class was Kumari Kochammini, the niece of Sanskrit teacher Rama Pisharady.
In 1956 MA was started in the department. In 1983 the college was affiliated to MG University, Kottayam.In 1990 the department was recognized was a Research center. The list of stalwarts among the teachers and the alumni shows the glorious past of the department